भारत सरकारGOVERNMENT OF INDIA
कृषि और किसान कल्याण मंत्रालयMINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND FARMER'S WELFARE
Main profile profile for achuit
Currently my research works targets hosts and plant viruses interactions, and developing strategies to control begomoviruses in plants. Begomoviruses (Family – Geminiviridae) are very destructive viruses that can cause devastating diseases in vegetable crops in all tropical regions of the world including India. Their genomes are composed of circular single stranded DNA and they are subjected to gene silencing through an unknown mechanism. We have identified distinct new species of begomoviruses causing severe leaf curl diseases on tomato (Tomato leaf curl Patna virus, Tomato leaf curl Ranchi virus, Tomato leaf curl Gandhinagar virus), on radish (Radish leaf curl virus), on Okra (Okra leaf curl New Delhi virus) and on Chilli ( Chilli leaf curl Vellanad virus, Chilli leaf curl Salem virus). For the first time, we have demonstrated Koch’s postulates using clone DNA molecules associated with radish leaf curl disease and Okra leaf curl disease by agroinoculation and also studied the pseudo-recombination and synergism between two distinct species of begomoviruses, Radish leaf curl virus (RaLCV) and Croton yellow vein mosaic virus (CYVMV) that infect radish. Recently, we have initiated CRISPR-Cas9 mediated broad spectrum resistance against begomoviruses in vegetable crops.
- DBT-Postdoctoral fellowship
- North zone award of Prof. M.J. Narasimhan Academic Merit Award by Indian Phytopathological Society, 2007
- RK Chandan, AK Singh, S Patel, DM Swain, N Tuteja, G Jha. Silencing of tomato CTR1 provides enhanced tolerance against Tomato leaf curl virus infection. Plant signaling & behavior, 1-7, 2019.
- RV Kumar, D Singh, AK Singh, S. Chakraborty. Molecular diversity, recombination and population structure of alphasatellites associated with begomovirus disease complexes. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. 49 39-47, 2017.
- B George, BS Bhatt, M Awasthi, B George, AK Singh. Comparative analysis of microsatellites in chloroplast genomes of lower and higher plants. Current genetics. 61 (4) 665-677, 2015
- RV Kumar*, AK Singh*, AK Singh, T Yadav, S Basu, N Kushwaha, B Chattopadhyay, S Chakraborty (*Equal Author). Complexity of begomovirus and betasatellite populations associated with chilli leaf curl disease in India. Journal of General Virology. 96 3143-3158, 2015.
- AK Singh, B Chattopadhyay, S Chakraborty. Biology and interactions of two distinct monopartite begomoviruses and betasatellites associated with radish leaf curl disease in India. Virology journal 9 (1) 1-18, 2012.